May 6, 2012

Old Fashioned





I love a lot of old fashioned things. I love old fashioned movies, clothes and even old fashioned root beer. Recently, I've been having conversations with friends about old fashioned dating. You know, the dating where the guy picks up the phone and calls to ask a girl out for a date and then actually plans a date to take her on. The type of dating where the couple spend hours talking before even holding hands and then waiting for 3 or 4 dates or even 3 or 4 months before the first kiss. I remember this type of dating and yes it seems like ages ago, but everytime I think about it, it makes me smile. I remember being giddy about the prospect of being asked out by a boy. I loved talking on the phone with my prospective date days before the date and if the date was great, continuing the phone conversations after the date.

There was one time when I had gone out with this boy for a few dates and we were driving in his truck and I had my hand stretched out next to me and while driving he reached over and grabbed it. It put the biggest smile on my face. Even more awesome was that the car was manual.. he was definitely smitten.

So why all the nostalgia? Well, since that time, dating has become so unappealing and more of a chore and cause for several emotional breakdowns. The term crazy, normal associated with those admitted to a psychiatric facility, is now a common term placed on both men and women who have become overwhelmed with dating and in turn have resorted to uncharacterisitics methods to cope. ;)

My friends and I spend more time discussing all the dread leading up to the first date then we do talking about the date itself.

I've watched as my beautiful, smart and funny friends begin to doubt their qualities and worth, just because a guy doesn't text a day after a date. I hear my guy friends and their lackadaisical (yes, I had to google spelling) attitude they present to me about going out with "chicks".

The worst of it, is those people who are in unfulfilling and convenient relationships, just so they don't have to be alone.

Now, here is the good part of all this reminiscing and venting. I have decided to bring back the old way of dating!!! That's right, I am going to start promoting the good old fashioned date. The old way where the boy calls to ask out. Where two people take the time to get to know each other before all the smooching. I want to bring back the excitement of the first date, the first hand holding and the first kiss!! And YES, I think it's a fabulous idea!

I haven't quite decided how to "launch" this plan but the first person I am going to start with is me. :) I am going to act as quinea pig. The next guy I go out with has no idea what he's in for.

I realize that I be met with different viewpoints and opposers, but the way I am approaching dating now isn't working and it isn't fun and that just has to change in order for me to one day be betrothed. (love that word)

So wish me luck on this new venture and who knows..... I may just start a trend. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous,  May 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM  

Good going! It sounds like fun if you can do it.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP